Sunday 4 December 2011

Cultural Diversity AS Art piece

I produced this mono-print piece as part of my AS level final piece. My chosen theme was cultural identity, and this theme really appealed to me as I thought I could draw on my own cultural identity- being mixed race, part African and part British.
I really wanted to explore how these seperate cultures are represented and what defines them so I focused on traditional patterns, clothing, symbols, facial features and hairstyles. I was inspired by the simplistic style of African American artist Mary Burroughs' work, as it looks very traditionally African. I applied a similar style to my own work. The piece features myself in the middle, next to two friends either side who are both white british. I wanted to bring both cultures together to show their contrasts but also to show how they combine in harmony and convey the message that everybody is equal, no matter their race.

No comments:

Post a Comment